Tackle Marcus Gilbert Announces His Retirement

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
avgijiyyxebfwso7rful

The Cardinals got a retirement announcement before the draft -- but it wasn't Larry Fitzgerald.

Veteran tackle Marcus Gilbert, acquired in a trade before the 2019 season but who never played in a regular-season game for the Cardinals, announced on social media Monday he was retiring from the NFL.

"After 10 seasons playing the in the National Football League, I have decided to retire," Gilbert wrote. "I will forever remain grateful for the memories, experiences, friendships and successes football has provided me."

Gilbert, who was coming off a couple of injury-riddled seasons with the Steelers prior to his trade in 2019, was playing well as the Cardinals' right tackle all through training camp and the preseason. But he tore his ACL during a practice the week leading into the 2019 opener, ending his season.

Last year, Gilbert was the lone Cardinal to opt out of the season because of COVID-19. The Cards subsequently signed another veteran, Kelvin Beachum, who stepped in and took over as starting right tackle. Beachum was recently re-signed, and the team still has 2020 third-round pick Josh Jones who can play tackle.

Gilbert, who still had the one year left on his contract that he had going into 2020 (opting out meant the contract froze), was likely going to have a battle to make the roster.

"Although my tenure with the Arizona Cardinals was short," Gilbert wrote, "I cherished my time in the Grand Canyon State. I wish Coach Kingsbury and the Arizona Cardinals the best of luck this season."

Continue reading...