Talented Wide Receiver Class Will Tempt Cardinals In Draft

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
imlmho9pjbjhc3lcsb7i

But for all the successes Murray and Kliff Kingsbury's offense had in 2019, they are still short on dynamic wide receivers, threats down the field that can scare a defense and elevate the unit as a whole.

There would be a chance the Cardinals would have the first pick of a wide receiving class so talented and deep that Kingsbury insisted the Cards could get a really good one all the way into the fourth round (which in itself a comment to consider.) It feels inevitable Kingsbury will get a receiver at some point, and he raved about meeting with the top three prospects: Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb and Alabama's Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs.

"I'm an offensive coach who was a quarterback, I'm always looking for a fast outside guy," Kingsbury said. "We're going to do what's best for our organization, but those three guys are definitely in play."

Keim said he told his staff there isn't any position in the draft the Cardinals should not consider.

"To me, we have to continue to look at this process without any biases," Keim said.

Keim hasn't given up on the three 2019 draftees, but he acknowledged all have things to work on. Andy Isabella has to get better off press coverage, Hakeem Butler has to become a better route runner, KeeSean Johnson has to improve his consistency.

If the Cardinals were to add in a big-time receiver from this class, the franchise would only be that much further ahead if the previous class develops. There are few doubts many of the incoming wide receivers will have NFL success.

"I think that the group as a whole, all the receivers here are exceptional," Ruggs said. "Everybody had good careers at their respective colleges. And everybody is in the talk for great things at the next level."

Over the next couple of months, the Cardinals will have to figure out the direction they want to choose.

"When you look at the players that are out there, if you find one that you think is a game-changer, that's where you've got to go," Kingsbury said during an interview on Cards Cover 2. "Because there are. There are going to be a ton of really talented ones that we feel like can have immediate impacts and come in and give us some real juice on the outside. We're definitely covering all our bases, and we'll see how that plays out."

Continue reading...