Tech, Trust & Trade Part of Vikings Landing Christian Darrisaw

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
vcigrvqzurnjekrlczmo

Darrisaw, a junior who is listed at 6-foot-5 and 322 pounds on his NFL.com bio page, said he wanted to convey "the type of player they're going to get."

"I'm a hard worker, a guy who's going to do whatever it takes to win, basically. Be the best player I can be," Darrisaw said. "A guy who's going to watch extra film, listen to the veterans and just do extra on and off the field – no matter what it means, just to be the best player I can be."

The official selection of the Virginia native who earned Second-Team All-America honors from The Associated Press and a First-Team All-ACC was at least Spielman's second leap of faith of the evening.

Initially scheduled to select 14th, Spielman sent that pick and the 143rd overall selection to the New York Jets in exchange for the 23rd, 66th and 86th overall picks.

There's always a risk in going that far down the board for a player that the Vikings legitimately considered taking with the 14th pick, which the Jets used to select guard/tackle Alijah Vera-Tucker out of Southern Cal.

Spielman admitted, "We were a little tight in the draft room" while waiting for other picks to be announced. "Once we got down to about four or five picks, when we went down to 23, we did try to go back up because we wanted to try to make sure that we got Christian. We were unable to [move up]. Fortunately, we did not have to. We were able to keep our extra picks that we gained and still got the player that we coveted. So, it worked out very well for us."