Teddy Bridgewater's leadership, football IQ bringing Panthers early success

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
pzqe663pvve7eji6k3k7

While the numbers are solid, they don't necessarily tell the whole story. Bridgewater's leadership and high football IQ have been instrumental in the Panthers' offensive success.

"He's one of the smartest quarterbacks, smartest football people I've ever been around," head coach Matt Rhule said. "I had the good fortune to be around Eli Manning, and Teddy reminds me so much of Eli in terms of the way that he studies the game, the way that he plays the mental game, the way that he understands the run game, he understands the protection game.

"He's just such a cerebral, intelligent, football guy that it makes everyone around us better."

Bridgewater has always strived to do that, both on and off the field. He revealed this week that back in his high school days, he'd get his teammates together on Thursday nights to play college football video games.

"Little did I know that those were actual coverages that I would see years later," Bridgewater said. "I think that right there might've helped my football IQ some."

He's brought that same presence to the Panthers, having weekly meetings between the offensive line and the quarterbacks to ensure everyone is on the same page.

That's not something every quarterback would suggest to do. But in a season without OTAs and on a team where players had to learn a new scheme, there's good reason for it.

"We didn't do that much when I was in New Orleans, but everyone was on the same page," Bridgewater said. "But here in Carolina, it's just something that I thought would be beneficial to everyone."

One way to tangibly see the positive effect is Carolina's long possessions. Only once have the Panthers scored with five plays or fewer, and that was in Week 1 against Las Vegas when wide receiver Robby Anderson caught a 75-yard touchdown.