Teddy Bridgewater hoping to help Chris Manhertz improve as a receiver

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
you0p6ztcrxbrohebf9b

"As a tight end, we hear a basketball player, you think about a guy who will go up and rebound for you," Bridgewater said. "So I just told Chris, man, I just want to continue to just try to add a little more to his game.

"Get them out of that mindset of just thinking that, 'I'm just coming in the game to block.' No, you're going to be catching passes, and this offense is going to rely on you in the red zone, on third downs, and things like that.

"I just told him, pretend you're on the basketball court."

And Manhertz certainly has appreciated Bridgewater's encouragement.

"I think it's a testament to not only how good of a leader Teddy is, but his attention to detail with his tight ends and wide receivers is really admirable," Manhertz said.

"Just for him to take the time out to really show me how he wants routes to be run, and the timing, and the chemistry and things of that nature — I think that's definitely important, especially if you're trying to get a good base of chemistry with your quarterback."

While it's often used as a descriptor for tight ends, being a former basketball player does make a difference. As a basketball player, Manhertz was a self-described "garbage man," someone who did the dirty work near the hoop. Playing football, the 6-foot-6, 255-pounder can have a similar effect using his size and length to effectively post up on defenders.

"Those are certain traits that I guess you can't teach, but just some traits that just transfer and become natural once you're really out there on the football field," Manhertz said. "I hope to use that and use it to the best of my ability."