The biggest questions facing the Broncos' new GM

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
ge8r4ynwnurfc54jgkzv

WHAT IS JUSTIN SIMMONS' FUTURE?

After playing on the franchise tag in 2020, the Broncos' All-Pro safety could head toward free agency again. Denver is again eligible to negotiate with Simmons on an extension now that the regular season has ended, and the next key date is Feb. 23, when the franchise tag designation period begins. If the Broncos place the franchise tag on Simmons between Feb. 23 and March 9, it does not mean Simmons has to play the year on the franchise tag. It simply gives the Broncos until July 15 to solely negotiate with Simmons' representation. If the Broncos choose not to use the franchise tag and are unable to reach a deal by March 17, Simmons would hit the open market.

Should Denver choose to place the franchise tag on Simmons, the newly named Pro Bowler would need to decide whether to sign the franchise tender and ultimately whether to play on the tag for a second season. He was non-committal when asked about that possibility during his end-of-season press conference.

The Broncos have been consistent in expressing their hopes that Simmons will return in 2021, but as with Miller, Fangio said the Broncos' decision will rest with the general manager.

As a mainstay of the Broncos' secondary — Simmons has not missed a snap in three years — the team's decision could have wide-ranging ramifications on the defense.

WHICH FREE AGENTS WILL REMAIN WITH THE BRONCOS?

Simmons isn't the only Broncos player of note that will be a free agent when the new league year begins. Defensive end Shelby Harris and right tackle Elijah Wilkinson are among the biggest names who will be unrestricted free agents, and 2017 draft picks DeMarcus Walker and Jake Butt will also hit the market. Harris re-signed with the Broncos on a one-year deal ahead of the 2020 season, and Denver must decide whether to extend him again or to reshape their defensive line around young draft picks like Dre'Mont Jones. Mike Purcell recently signed an extension, and Jurrell Casey — who could also be a player to watch this offseason — remains under contract, which could impact the Broncos' decision. Harris said recently he would like to remain in Denver, but he understands the business-like nature of the NFL.

Restricted free agency may be more interesting for Denver. Wide receiver Tim Patrick, linebacker Alexander Johnson and running back Phillip Lindsay were key starters in 2020 and must be tendered to remain in Denver. The Broncos can tender each player at a late-, second- or first-round level, and the corresponding salary rises as the tender level increases. Another team can still extend an offer sheet to a tendered restricted free agent, but if the Broncos chose not to match an offer to a player with a first- or second-round tender, Denver would receive a pick in the corresponding round as compensation. It's worth noting, the Broncos could also give a multi-year extension to any of the RFAs.

Patrick's six receiving touchdowns led the team and Johnson was the team's tackle leader, which could make both players strong candidates to be tendered. Both Elijah Wilkinson and Mike Purcell were tendered at a second-round level in 2020, which could provide a blueprint for how Denver approaches Patrick's and Johnson's potential tenders. Lindsay's case may be more interesting. He struggled with injuries in 2020, and after back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, he finished with 502 rushing yards and one touchdown. Depending on the Broncos' decision related to Melvin Gordon III, a second-round tender may be a steep price for Denver.

HOW DO THE BRONCOS HANDLE PLAYERS FACING DISCIPLINE?

Two of the Broncos' biggest free-agent additions of the 2020 offseason may not be available to begin 2021. Cornerback A.J. Bouye still has a four-game suspension to serve for a PED violation, while Gordon may face a multi-game suspension for a DUI citation he received this fall.

Both players were contributors in 2020, though to varying degrees. Bouye struggled with injuries before missing the final two games of the season due to suspension and appeared in just seven games in 2020. Gordon, meanwhile, appeared in 15 games and nearly reached the 1,000-yard rushing mark on the season. His 10 total touchdowns led all Broncos, and he posted a pair of 100-yard games.

Denver may have to decide, though, whether they can head into the 2021 season knowing that the two players will miss the early part of the year. Bouye has not spoken to reporters since his suspension, but Gordon said he's hopeful that he can return to Denver for a second season.

"My job is to go out there and run that ball, so that's what I'm going to do," Gordon said. "As far as the contract and all that stuff, I let my agent handle all that — the [reported contract guarantee] void and all that stuff. Hopefully I did enough for them to want to keep me here. I do feel like they have something special here growing and I definitely want to be a part of it. … So, we'll see, hopefully it works out, and hopefully they like me enough to kind of put all that stuff to the side. I guess in a couple months or so we'll see what's up."