The fire still burns inside Za'Darius Smith

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
to1stloijvsueyzb2z07

Smith won't be alone, either, as his close friend, Preston Smith, and budding pass rusher, Rashan Gary, are also both back for a third season in Green Bay's outside linebacker room.

Preston Smith had been an active participant throughout the offseason program but is currently in the COVID-19 protocol. Once his fellow Smith Bro. is back, however, Za'Darius is excited for the possibilities in Barry's defense.

"'P' is a guy who is all in," Za'Darius said. "'P' is a guy to keep everybody going in the meeting rooms. When people are down, he's the guy that's keeping us laughing, man, and keeping us encouraged on and off the field. So, it'll be good to get 'P' back."

As far as personal motivation is concerned, the fire hasn't dimmed at all inside Za'Darius. And should the day come when the 28-year-old pass rusher needs an added spark, don't put it past his position coach to jump into the bulletin-board fray on social media.

"I'm probably playing favorites but I do think he's one of the best in the league and I think he's proven that the last couple years," Mike Smith said. "Maybe I'll get a fake account and start doing it myself and make stuff up there.

"Actually, don't record that. Don't tell him because I am going to do it; that's a great idea. 'Can you believe what they said about you today, Z? I cannot believe it.'"