The Skinny Post: Vikings to Close Out Regular Season at Home

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
rinoxm30enny6bogtiax

Substantial Stats

— Anthony Harris snagged yet another pick on Monday night, bringing his season total to a team-leading six interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown at Seattle in Week 13. The safety also has 11 passes defensed and a fumble recovery.

— Bears outside linebacker Khalil Mack has 8.5 sacks on the season. He needs 1.5 to record his fifth consecutive season with double-digit sacks. Mack has forced 11 fumbles since 2018.

— The Vikings defense has recorded at least one takeaway in all but three games this season: at Green Bay in Week 2, at Chicago in Week 4 and at Kansas City in Week 9.

— Sunday will mark the fourth consecutive year that Minnesota has hosted Chicago to close out the regular season. The Vikings are 2-1 in the Week 17 matchups since 2016, having lost 24-10 last December.

“Getting to work with Kirk every day has been a great experience for me. First of all, he’s a great guy, a great leader, a great person to just be around. We spend a lot of long hours in the building together. We enjoy hanging out with one another. His experience has been great for me to learn from. A lot of conversations we have about reads and stuff in the QB room, it’s our job to get ourselves ready, but I think we’ve got to get ourselves ready with one another by studying together and being in the meetings. I think the conversations that go on in there have really helped me, and I hope that they’ve helped him as well.”

— Mannion

Harris wins Korey Stringer Good Guy Award

Anthony Harris has made a name for himself on the field over the past two seasons, but he received an off-the-field accolade Friday.

The Vikings safety was named Wednesday by the Twin Cities chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America as the winner of the 2019 Korey Stringer Good Guy Award.

The award was established in 2001 in memory of Stringer, a former first-round pick who tragically passed away Aug. 1, 2001.

“I take pride in my play on the field, but to honored outside of that, and more for who I am as a person, it’s very rewarding,” Harris said. “Knowing the history [Stringer] had here, knowing all the accomplishments and accolades he had on the field … I think it says a lot about who he was as a person.

“Every memory that I’ve got from talking to people who knew him, the one thing they speak about first is now his performance on the field, but who he was as an individual,” Harris added. “I try to pride myself on being a good player, but also showing people that I’m a good person, too.”

Harris, who joined the Vikings as an undrafted free agent in the spring of 2015, is tied for the league lead with six interceptions. He has 60 total tackles (according to coaches’ stats), and has also recorded a tackle for loss, a fumble recovery and 11 passes defensed.

Previous Vikings winners include Adam Thielen, Latavius Murray, Brian Robison, Captain Munnerlyn, Chad Greenway and Kevin Williams.

Ben Goessling of the Star Tribune presented Munnerlyn with a plaque commemorating the award.