This Week In The Community: 11.15.19

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
pugien5zr6ptrv085xpm

The Chicago Bears kicked-off our longest standing community program while continuing to work with and support military organizations throughout Chicago.

Chicago Bears/Jewel-Osco Coat Drive: The 31st annual Chicago Bears/Jewel-Osco Coat Drive kick-off on Monday, November 11. New and gently used coats can be donated at 188 participating Jewel-Osco locations throughout Chicagoland now through February 28, 2020. Bears Fit (155 E Townline Rd., Vernon Hills) will also accept donations. Wm. Meyers Movers donated the collection bins and transport logistics. All coats will benefit the Salvation Army. For more information, please visit chicagobears.com/community.

Helping Heroes: Kerrith Whyte Jr. helped collect donations from Mundelein High School students and stock the shelves of their new welcome center, which invites members of the community in need to pick up necessities such as free clothing, food and other items.

Chicago Furniture Bank Visit: Representatives from I Grow Chicago and community residents had the opportunity to shop for furniture from the Chicago Furniture Bank. Bears Care and the Chicago Bears, through the NFL Foundation, provided an $80,000 grant to I Grow Chicago for the construction of the Family Resource House, which opened in August and aims to empower, educate and employ women and mothers to become community leaders. During construction, residents of I Grow Chicago also learned from the contractors on-site and were paid to assist throughout the rehabilitation process. The Chicago Furniture Bank provides dignity, stability, and comfort to Chicagoans moving into supportive housing by allowing clients to handpick entire homes’ worth of furniture; they are a Bears100 Community All-Pros and received a $100,000 grant.