Throwback: 'Bob Lurtsema Day'

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
yamf8795hbexxp4k1z68

"They honored me, and I had to speak at halftime," Lurtsema recalled to Rosen and Bercich. "Patera is chewing everybody out in the locker room, and I'm out there in the middle of the field, 'Hey Vikings fans, good to see you.' I'm rocking and rolling and didn't have to get my butt chewed out, but we should have beaten them that game. … What a thrill, being passed all of these cards, 'Welcome home, Bob.' I never realized at the time it happened what a big thing it actually was, but the fans have been so good to me."

After four seasons of backing up Jim Marshall, Lurtsema had been released by Minnesota in September and claimed off waivers by Patera to be a starter for the upstart Seahawks.

The Vikings roster got crowded once Minnesota was able to trade Seattle for receiver Ahmad Rashad, who later moved to Lurtsema's Lakeville neighborhood. Rashad's career blossomed in Minnesota, eventually landing him in the Vikings Ring of Honor. He became friends with Lurtsema and a TV partner of Rosen's, launching his own media career.

"What really upset me, he moved into my neighborhood in the offseason," Lurtsema told Rosen and Bercich with a laugh before adding, "He's a great kid, so I'm really happy for his success and how well he's done in broadcasting."