Time on Tractor Leads Gary Kubiak to Accepting Vikings Offensive Coordinator Gig

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
qz2j0cfwtnl3qzi52obf

Kubiak said Tuesday that he wants the Vikings offense to be as balanced as possible, but did reiterate that Minnesota will have a strong vow for the running game.

"The first thing I would say is commitment," Kubiak said. "You've got to be committed to running the football and being physical, and that starts with Zim' … 'Hey, this is what I want to be and what I want you guys to work on.'

"I think we made a commitment in the offseason and stuck with it through training camp. It's not always easy and it doesn't go perfect during the season, but we stayed with it. Even when we lost Dalvin, we tried to stay with it and struggled for a couple weeks," Kubiak added. "I just think being committed to doing it, and it's what we think is best for our team, so we'll stay committed to it and find ways to get better and make some big plays off it."

While Kubiak will be working with the same collection of players, he did say he looks forward to challenging himself each day in the offseason. Part of that will come during spring practices when he's tasked with calling plays.

"I look forward to it, it's something I've done for 26, 27 years," said Kubiak, who worked games in 2019 from the coaches' box. "I've done it, but I also think it's something you have to prepare to do.

"Zim' has got to put me back to work and put me in situations in practice where I'm getting going again. But I feel comfortable because of the group I'm around," Kubiak added. "Being with Rick [Dennison] all these years, having these young coaches on our staff, very bright minds in that meeting room … I think all of us together have to find a way to put our best foot forward."

Vikings players are slated to return to the team facility April 20 for voluntary offseason workouts.