Training Camp Primer: After Thielen & Diggs, Receivers Will Try to Separate from Pack

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
pfj0f6znrpkxgpytkhbz

Added Beebe: “It’s definitely a tight group. With Settlers of Catan … just things like that, we’re bonding and everyone wants the best for each other.”

The group may be tight off the field, yet as training camp looms, they will soon engage in what could be the fiercest position battle on the roster.

The Vikings are set with Thielen and Diggs as the top two options, but there has been constant chatter about which other player could separate himself throughout training camp and the preseason.

Beebe appeared to make a strong impression in spring practices, as assistant head coach/offensive advisor Gary Kubiak had plenty of praise for the 5-foot-10 wide receiver in June.

“I think you also got to look at the fact that [Beebe] has had probably as good of an offseason as any player that I know on our side of the ball,” Kubiak said. “He’s got a chance to be a really good player for us, so it gives us flexibility to bounce around personnel wise.”

Beebe, whose father Don played nine seasons in the NFL, made the practice squad out of 2018 training camp after joining the Vikings as an undrafted free agent. He climbed to the 53-man roster midway through the season, but had just four catches for 39 yards as he battled injuries.

Now healthy, Beebe wants to prove he belongs and can be a playmaker in the Vikings offense,

“I’m far better as a wideout than I was coming in. I think a lot of that is due to being on practice squad for the first half of the season,” Beebe said. “I learned a lot going up against one of the best defenses in the NFL, and learning from two of the best receivers in the NFL. I was really able to do my best to perfect my craft.”

“I feel like the speed of the game has slowed down a little bit for me and I’m able to play at a faster pace,” Beebe added. “All that together makes a huge difference.”

Taylor was also a spring standout, as he ran with the first-team offense at times. The wide receiver has ties to Kubiak, who was Denver’s head coach from 2015-16 and a personnel advisor the past two seasons.

Taylor played in 26 games in 2016 and 2017, recording 29 total receptions for 351 yards and a pair of touchdowns in his career.

While Beebe offers lateral quickness as a potential slot option, Taylor can provide strength and size with his 6-foot-5 frame.

“I try to use my length to my advantage,” Taylor said. “I’m not slow by any means, but I’m not the fastest guy either, so a foot of separation for me is what I need to use my long arms and longer frame to try and reel in the ball. I try to use that as much as I can.”

Treadwell has the most NFL experience of any player, as the 2016 first-round pick has 56 catches for 517 yards and a touchdown in 40 career games.

Although Treadwell hasn’t had the easiest start to his career with four different offensive coordinators, he said this offseason that he doesn’t view 2019 as a prove-it season.

“I’m not going to put that on me, because I’ve done that before and been down that route and it kind of sets you out to be against everyone,” Treadwell said. “I don’t want to put myself in that category, it’s more about just being intentional … come to work and be willing to learn every day and be open to new things.”

Zylstra had one catch for 23 yards in his rookie season in 2018, which came after he led the CFL with 100 catches for 1,687 receiving yards the year before.