Trial by fire prepares WR Courtland Sutton for Year 2 improvement

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
wdgy047lqtfjrzzukaft

Then, of course, there’s the man who will be throwing Sutton the football.

When quarterback Joe Flacco first met Sutton this week, he couldn’t help but notice the young receiver’s energy.

“I actually walked up to him and he was like, ‘You have so much energy.’” Sutton said. “I was like, ‘Get used to it.’ I get excited waking up in the morning. Being able to come here and this be my job and getting to be an organization like this, it’s an exciting thing for me. I told him, ‘Get used to it because you’re going to get a lot of it.'"

That exuberance should help Sutton stay motivated as he and Flacco get to know the intricacies of each other’s games.

Sutton explained that while he’s watched Flacco on film, there’s a different element involved when players hit the field. The Broncos aren’t able to participate in on-field work with a football for a couple of more weeks, but Sutton knows there’s a lot to learn.

“He’s going to have different things that he likes to do in the pocket, different checks and all these different things,” Sutton said. “Us learning him and him learning us, it’s going to take time. Who knows when it’s going to click? Hopefully sooner than later it’ll click. We’re just going to take every practice as a learning day, and that’s really it. Just growing every single day — taking it day by day and growing every single day.”

That could lead to more catches, more yards and more success — which is exactly what Sutton expects.

“I’m taking all of those lessons that I learned from those last four games and taking them into this season and taking those expectations and going to run with them,” Sutton said. "Now I know what is expected of me.

“I’ll make sure that I do what I’m supposed to do.”