UK Music Artist Jordan Mackampa Supports Vikings from Across the Pond

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ruuckyp69bta1o9exnt8

Mackampa's songs have been featured in TV shows across the globe, including ABC's For Life, which is loosely based on the story of a Black man who was imprisoned for a crime that he did not commit.

And as his career has progressed, Mackampa noted that he's been able to find his voice as a Black artist through his lyrics, actions and appearance.

"I am who I am. There isn't just one way to be Black, period," said Mackmpa, who was born in Congo but moved to the UK at a young age. "I'm telling that story through my music."

And with February being Black History Month, Mackampa said he is proud to keep paving the way for others to follow in his footsteps.

"It's celebrating not just how important our Blackness is, but celebrating how we got here," Mackampa said. "For me, I celebrate Black History Month every single day. But this month, it feels more special.

"There's like an aura in the air around this time of the year, and it feels like an important time to be a Black person with the state of the world, for both good and bad," Mackampa continued. "It feels like all of the world's eyes are on our every movement, and everyone is waiting to see what we do next.

"It's a magical thing to have that power in our hands," Mackampa added. "Our movement and our words are so watched … I feel more myself around Black History Month, just because it's such a celebration of our history and our culture more than any other month."

Mackampa added that he became even prouder to be a Vikings fan over the past year as the organization stepped up its efforts for social justice and was also the first professional sports team to put out statement following George Floyd's killing in Minneapolis in May.

"With the team being in Minnesota, where the resurgence of Black Lives Matter started after the tragic death of George Floyd, it makes sense that the Vikings should be the team to hit that message home the most," Mackampa said. "We can all send that message and understand what that means."

Mackampa said that he is hopeful the Vikings make a return trip to London in the coming years.

But for now, he will continue supporting his favorite team on and off the field from across the pond.

"There's a small cult of Vikings fans here," Mackampa said. "I keep up with all the news and updates on the website and the Vikings YouTube page," Mackampa said. "I follow a couple of the players on Instagram and Twitter, and then watching any game I can with my free time.

"It's difficult with the time difference because we're six hours ahead here," Mackampa continued. "So anytime you guys play a night game, it's either 1 or 2 a.m. here.

"If I have work or am in the studio the next day, I have to decide which one is more important — sleep or watching the boys," Mackampa added. "And sometimes, I just have to watch the boys."