Undrafted Krys Barnes making the most out of unusual rookie year

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
stqsawlgjw6vaxonusfj

There was no better example of that ebb and flow than the seven days between the time Barnes was released during final cuts and then signed to the Packers' active roster in time for the regular-season opener in Minnesota.

Barnes wasn't just a feel-good story who extended Green Bay's streak to 16 consecutive years of having an undrafted rookie on its initial 53-man roster. The Packers needed him with rookie fifth-round pick Kamal Martin on injured reserve.

In lining up alongside veteran Christian Kirksey in the base defense, Barnes became the first undrafted rookie linebacker to start an opener for Green Bay since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger.

Despite playing only 85 snaps (35.1%), the 6-foot-2, 229-pound linebacker is second on the Packers' defense with 23 tackles (14 solo) through four games – and he's done so without having missed a tackle yet this season, according to Pro Football Focus.

"It meant a lot getting those plays. No matter how many I did get, you just want to treat it like it was gold," Barnes said. "For me, to be able to get the chance to go out there and display my ability and contribute to the team in some sort of fashion is all I could ask for."

With Kirksey also on injured reserve with a pectoral injury, Barnes graduated to the next level of coordinator Mike Pettine's defense in wearing the communication helmet during portions of last week's 30-16 win over the Atlanta Falcons.

Splitting those duties with second-year linebacker Ty Summers, Barnes recorded six tackles in a season-high 38 defensive snaps. He also flashed his athleticism in coverage, getting his hands on a Matt Ryan pass targeted for Olamide Zaccheaus on a crosser.

"He's always got that look in his eyes that he's locked in and I think the guys respect that," said Pettine last week. "He soaked it up right from the beginning going back to our virtual meetings in the spring and it was obvious he had a good handle on it right at the beginning of camp and that continues to carry over into the games.

"He's proven that he can handle it and certainly worthy of the reps he's getting and potentially even more."