Vance Joseph: Isaiah Simmons Is Linebacker, But Options Exist

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
xzpfbolal9ovl3hys2p4

Joseph acknowledged there could be parts to Simmons' Clemson game that won't translate to the NFL, that won't be realistic in the pros.

"With this kid's skillset, he can do a lot of things," Joseph said. "Until we touch it, until we gameplan, I can't guarantee where he is going to be.

"If it's a job that we think he can do, we will put him out there. That's why he was drafted. I want Isaiah to be Isaiah."

Simmons and the draft class aren't the only reasons Joseph has optimism. Having Patrick Peterson (suspension) and Robert Alford (injury) in line to return to the starting lineup Week One makes a difference. He also is bullish about the three headliners from the free-agent class.

Defensive tackle Jordan Phillips played for Joseph in Miami and is only trending up, an arc that should continue under the tutelage of line coach Brentson Buckner.

"I don't think Jordan has hit his ceiling yet," Joseph said.

He also said that he thinks outside linebacker Devon Kennard can improve upon his seven sacks in the Cardinals' system. Inside linebacker D'Vondre Campbell – who has gotten lost a bit in the conversation, especially since Simmons was drafted – was actually the Cardinals' top free-agent target Joseph said, a player whom the Cards would be too expensive before Campbell eventually dropped his price for a one-year deal.

"We're not there yet, and we haven't even played any football," Keim said. "I can't tell you (the rebuild) is ultimately a success, but on paper I feel like we've done some good things. I feel like it'll help us and put Vance in a good spot. Last year I felt bad for coach Joseph because in some situations we just didn't have the right players or we had endured some injuries that put him in a tough spot."

There is reason for Joseph to be optimistic about what he has on paper. But he's coached long enough to know it'll be on the field that counts.

"We have to get through the offseason, we have to get through camp, and we have to go prove it," Joseph said.

Continue reading...