Veteran Griffen’s Beard Showing No Gray, Just Looking Good

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
nmakzkf1bzxyol1xpvog

EAGAN, Minn. — Everson Griffen is the longest-tenured Viking, having completed his first practice of a training camp for a 10th time.

The defensive end who has 66.5 career sacks — the seventh-most in franchise history — made it clear that he’s no graybeard after doling out beard tips at the request of guest reporter Anthony Barr.

Moments after shedding his helmet and practice jersey, Barr entered the throng of media members and asked Griffen what he’s doing to have his beard looking so good.

Asked Barr: “I noticed you came back and had a nice full beard, I was curious, what products do you use, and do you have any tips for someone like me that’s aspiring to get a beard like that?”

“I use Scotch Porter. It’s a little shampoo for your beard, and then they have conditioner, and I also use their beard cream and the sheen they have,” Griffen said. “On top of that, I put a little black castor oil. Yeah, I’ve got a little routine, and then I use a wooden brush and just brush it down.”

Barr even had a follow-up: “What does the wooden brush do?”

“If you use a regular brush, it makes your beard puff out like an Afro. I don’t want my beard like that,” Griffen said. “The wooden brush makes the hair lay down flat.”

A reporter then asked the 31-year-old if he’s covering up any gray.

“Oh, no, no, no, baby. Not at all,” Griffen said with a smile.

Griffen has flourished since becoming a starter in 2014, Mike Zimmer’s first as head coach, garnering three consecutive Pro Bowls from 2015-17, but he needed to step away from football for five games last season to focus on personal matters.

He said he’s appreciated the love and support of teammates, coaches and others in the Vikings organization.

“It’s great to be back with all 90 guys, a great opportunity for us to get better each and every day,” Griffen said. “We’ve just got to go out with the right mindset, try to get better and improve technique and become a better team day-by-day. We’ve got to take that as it is and keep building on that.”