Vikings 'Have 1 Shot' at College Pro Days Before 2021 NFL Draft

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
spxogagd4b5e6x8vp6kr

EAGAN, Minn. — The Vikings found creative and innovative ways to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic over the past year.

And as Minnesota's front office enters another offseason that won't look anything like normal, Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman and his team are prepared to be as resourceful again.

The biggest change to the 2021 offseason is that there has not been a combine. A reduced, medical only event is in the works, but teams missed the opportunity to see draft prospects participate in on-field drills in the same, controlled setting.

Pro days at colleges coast-to-coast will be as important as ever because general managers will get their only chance to see players in person on the field before the 2021 NFL Draft. They were able to see 130-plus players at the Senior Bowl in January but did not make campus visits in the fall.

Spielman said last week he is "scheduled for about 10 to 15 Pro Days" across the country in the coming weeks.

"[Pro days are] going to be more valuable than ever since we didn't have a combine," Spielman said. "We're going to be allowed to go out to pro days this year [unlike in 2020].

"I think you'll see a lot of GMs [visit] all these pro days, just because most of us were not able to go out in the fall because of the testing protocol and being in the building all year with our teams," Spielman added. "There will be a lot of guys out. I think I'm scheduled for about 10 to 15 pro days, as many as I can get to."

Pro days are important for teams and draft prospects.