Vikings Announce 2020 Team Captains

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
vieweuset1plm7hvzown

EAGAN, Minn. – Vikings team captains for the 2020 season will include first-timers Dalvin Cook and Harrison Smith, the team announced Wednesday.

The teammates will join returning captains Anthony Barr (2018-20), Kirk Cousins (2018-20), Riley Reiff (2017-20) and Kyle Rudolph (2017-20).

While the roles became official this week, Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer told "Voice of the Vikings" Paul Allen in late July that he planned to designate Cook with the honor.

"I love Dalvin," Zimmer told Allen on KFAN's 9 to Noon. "I'm going to make him a captain because of the things he represents here and the way that he's gone about his business and works."

Zimmer shortly thereafter spoke to Twin Cities media members and reiterated praise for Cook's character.

"Dalvin is a great person," he said. "He's a really good leader in the offensive room, he's good with all his teammates, he loves to play the game of football."

Cook was asked during his own media availability about what it would mean to be a team captain.

"I love being in Minnesota, being around these guys, and I just hope my hard work and everything I do shows those guys that 'I love this game, and I love being around y'all,' " Cook said. "I'd give it all for those guys.

"It just takes the hard work, and if you put the work in, it'll pay off for you," Cook added.

The running back has been a positive presence in Minnesota's locker room since being drafted 41st overall in 2017. Whether battling to come back from an ACL tear suffered during his rookie campaign or last season while rushing for career bests of 1,135 yards and 13 touchdowns en route to his first career Pro Bowl, Cook always seems to have a smile on his face.