Vikings Announce Cam Smith Roster Move

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
gxlb2ef5r5vdmh0upbox

EAGAN, Minn. — Per NFL procedures, to move Cam Smith from the Vikings active roster to their reserve/non-football injury (NFI) list, the team must first subject him to waivers. Should he clear waivers, he will revert to the Vikings

reserve/NFI list

Smith, a fifth-round pick in 2019, announced on his personal Instagram account over the weekend that he will undergo open-heart surgery to fix a bicuspid aortic valve. The linebacker was born with the condition that went undiagnosed until recently.

"Although this will unfortunately end my 2020 season, it is really a blessing that we found this as my heart is severely enlarged and wouldn't have lasted much longer," Smith posted. "I found this out after I tested positive for [COVID-19] and had to have further testing done as protocol. The Lord works in mysterious ways, but I could really feel him on this one."

Smith said the surgery will "allow me to continue to play football as soon as I am healed and cleared," adding that it was an easy decision to make.

"By no means am I ready to be done playing football, there is still so much more I want to accomplish on the field," he wrote. "I'm going to attack this like everything else I have in life. Already looking forward to the comeback! #SKOL."