Vikings Defense Struggles to Stuff Colts

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ybkxiknm5k1v5hiuh2re

Indianapolis converted just 3-for-11 on third downs, but the AFC South squad succeeded on first and second downs. Although the Vikings limited the Colts to two touchdowns, a generally admirable number, they allowed them to continue moving the chains and get in field goal range. Rookie Rodrigo Blankenship made field goals of 28, 38, 38 and 44 yards.

"We've got to be better on first and second down – limiting their gains and putting ourselves in better situations for third down," Harris said. "We didn't do very well. We've got to continue to execute our job at a high level on first and second down to be successful and get off the field."

On one third down in the first quarter, the Colts went for it on fourth-and-1 and picked up three yards. On another that same drive, Vikings rookie cornerback Jeff Gladney was flagged for illegal contact, giving the Colts a first down. Cornerback Holton Hill was called for the same penalty on third-and-7 in the second half.

"You know, those are all – I hope – correctable mistakes," Zimmer said.

A bright spot for the Vikings defense was forcing one turnover and nearly getting another.

Eric Wilson notched his first career interception on the opening play of the second quarter when Rivers threw to Alie-Cox on second-and-8 from the Minnesota 11-yard line.

Safety Harrison Smith tipped the pass, and Wilson corralled it to end Indianapolis' first drive at the 5-yard line.

Early in the third quarter, defensive end Yannick Ngakoue, whom the Vikings acquired via trade from Jacksonville in August, had a strip sack of Rivers. The play resulted in an 11-yard loss, but the loose ball was recovered by Colts tackle Braden Smith.

A second sack of Rivers was credited to Hill.

The splash plays, however, weren't enough to make up for other struggles.

Anthony Barr left the game with a shoulder injury, and fellow linebacker Troy Dye dealt with an ankle injury.

Zimmer emphasized that the team needs to get back to work after starting the season 0-2.

"I've been telling them, 'We can't start winning until we stop losing.' And right now, we are doing things to beat ourselves," Zimmer said. "I'm just not going to deal with it anymore."