Vikings Hire Keenan McCardell to Coach WRs; Andrew Janocko Now QBs Coach

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
p4go2ze0jldifm8xz84h

Vikings receivers Adam Thielen and Justin Jefferson expressed excitement over the McCardell hire.

"I'm so eager to get going and work with Keenan," Thielen said. "Having to chance to learn from somebody with his experience is going to help all of us in the receiver room. I can't explain how happy I am about this hire."

Jefferson, who finished his debut season with an NFL-rookie-record 1,400 yards receiving, is equally eager to learn from a coach of McCardell's caliber.

"I've talked with Keenan a few times, and he's already had great advice for me," Jefferson said. "Knowing all he's accomplished on the field and knowing a few of the guys he's coached before, we definitely got a great coach and our group is ready to take advantage of that."

Long before he shifted to coaching, McCardell put together quite the NFL résumé himself.

Originally a 12th-round draft pick by Washington in 1991, McCardell went on to play 17 seasons in the league. He spent that season on Injured Reserve as Washington won Super Bowl XXVI in Minnesota but landed in Cleveland to play for the Browns from 1992-95. McCardell then joined the Jaguars (1996-01), Buccaneers (2002-03) and Chargers (2004-06). He started the 2007 offseason with Houston before re-joining Washington for his final season.

McCardell earned two Pro Bowl nods (1996 and 2003) during his playing career and caught two touchdowns from former Vikings QB Brad Johnson in Super Bowl XXXVII to help the Bucs defeat the Raiders 48-21.

McCardell finished his NFL playing career with 883 catches for 11,373 yards and 63 touchdowns. He turned 51 last month.