Vikings Lament Not Finishing Final 10 Minutes Better

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
zrpomuadqjm3pwrjk3v9

"Those are the moments that you want as an offense, to be able to go down and kick a field goal to win the game," Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen said of the final sequence that netted just 1 yard thanks only to the penalty. "Obviously, we didn't make the plays, we didn't do the little things to make that happen.

"It's frustrating when you feel like you played a really good game, and then you have a big moment and it kind of looks sloppy," Thielen added. "Obviously, something to be able to learn from to make those corrections moving forward."

Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer said of the final drive: "I think it was more of a disaster than chaos. I mean, guys knew what they were doing. The first play, Kirk got pressured, and then the second play, I think it was the bad snap. Or maybe it was the third play. But he had a lot of people in his face at that time, so it was hard to get the ball down the field."

Over the past few seasons, Zimmer has preached about how important the final 10 minutes of the fourth quarter are.

Play well and execute, Zimmer has said, and you likely leave with a win. Mistakes and miscues down that stretch usually result with an L in the win-loss column.

The final 10 minutes of Minnesota's Week 3 loss won't sit well with a Vikings team that was so successful in that area a year ago.

In 2019, Zimmer's squad was 9-0 when entering the fourth quarter with a lead. And although they didn't have one Sunday, they had a halftime lead, and were also ahead on the scoreboard late in both the third and fourth quarters.