Vikings O-Line & Ham Provide Holiday Surprises for Underprivileged Families

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
fyok5rfbpy8fgli8bomj

Brian O’Neill, Dakota Dozier, Josh Kline, Brett Jones, Aviante Collins, Oli Udoh, Dru Samia, John Keenoy and offensive line coach Rick Dennison welcomed the first group into their position room at the team facility — decked out in the holiday spirit — to open gifts and meet Santa.

Beth Holger, the CEO of The Link, partnered with the Vikings community relations team to send a list of toys for each child.

“We assembled wish lists for each child, so they were all very individualized,” Holger said. “When you saw the kids opening up the presents, you could tell how excited they were because it was exactly what was on their wish lists.

“One of the kids cried. It was just an amazing experience that none of them have ever had,” Holger added. “It was very unique and just such a wonderful thing.”

Zy’Aeriyau took an immediate liking to her chemistry set, while her mom was thrilled to get a new blanket.

“We have some blankets, but somehow the kids always end up with mine,” Symmieona Williams said with a laugh. “I’m hiding this one.”

Other gifts throughout the night included stuffed animals, diapers, clothes, toy cars and a NERF Hoop set.

While the first group opened gifts, the second group hung out with Riley Reiff, Pat Elflein, Garrett Bradbury and Rashod Hill in the indoor practice facility. The group tossed footballs, posed for pictures and chatted with guests.

The groups then switched spots, with each child getting specialized attention as they opened their gifts. The families were later treated to a catered dinner at the team facility.

Jones initially came up with the idea to host the families. He and Collins led the charge on the event and were glad that every lineman was on board and energized by the experience.

“This is the holiday season, and there are families that are less fortunate,” Jones said. “It’s in our nature as offensive linemen that we want to protect and care for people.

“You want to do it for those kids,” Jones added. “Whether or not they get to open one on Christmas Day, you don’t know. This is pretty special for them. They were able to have a lot of fun, and to know we were able to help them to do that, it means a lot.”

Added Collins: “Oh man, it was awesome. It kind of brings you back to your childhood. I remember my face lighting up on Christmas Day. I saw that in these kids and I’m just glad we were able to give that to them. They might not have ever had this before … so it was great to bring that joy to their eyes.”