Vikings Offense Rushes for 201; Needed 1 More

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
zdwglxhcie6ktdikqqcc

Quarterback Kirk Cousins also backed the decision to go for it.

"If we get it, then it's to close out the game. Hindsight is 20/20, and if we don't have the benefit of that, we're making tough decisions," Cousins said. "We had run for roughly 200 yards and needed an inch, and we weren't able to get it. You just keep going and do the best you can."

The Vikings did a lot of good things offensively on the prime-time stage.

They weren't doing anything flashy, per se, but Minnesota continued to move the chains and win the time-of-possession battle. A 17-play drive in the second quarter capped by a Dan Bailey field goal was the Vikings longest (by number of plays) since Week 11 of the 2019 season.

By halftime, nine Vikings had been targeted and seven had touches.

"We have so many good football player sat so many skill positions. Whether it's [Kyle Rudolph] or Irv [Smith, Jr.] or even Tyler Conklin – he could have had a touchdown tonight, he was open when I threw the touchdown to Adam [Thielen]," Cousins said. "I think what Alex [Mattison] can do running football and catching the football, and then obviously Dalvin [Cook]. You see what Justin [Jefferson] has done, what [Bisi Johnson] can do, Chad Beebe can play.

"We had a few more passing attempts than we've had in the first few weeks," Cousins continued. "We believe those guys can make plays; it's just a matter of getting the opportunities, because when you're running the ball as well as we have been, it limits the number of attempts. I have so much confidence in so many different skill position players. I think the fact we did spread it a little bit around tonight speaks well."