Vikings Offseason Program Recap in 5 Quotes

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
gxfq8nmuqopdfjpork5i

2. Defense finding some challenges

The Vikings defense steadily climbed from worst in many categories in 2013 to first in points allowed and yards allowed in 2017.

Minnesota ranked ninth in points against (a figure that includes points scored by opposing defenses) and fourth in yards allowed a year ago. The flywheel is spinning by most accounts, but even a vaunted unit got burned by some opponents last season.

In practices this spring, the defense, particularly the returning starters, had a head start on the offense, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t challenges by Minnesota’s new offense, which Zimmer believes will help.

“Some of the things they’re doing are very hard on us, which is great for us defensively,” Zimmer said. “But yeah, we are a little bit ahead of them, and some of the terminology is new for the offense. It’s not really new as much for us on defense. And I guess when I say that, they might give us some formation that we haven’t seen, and our guys can adjust to it just because they’ve seen it and done it before, maybe not this spring, but they’ve seen it and done it before.”