Vikings Run Game Ready to Break Through Against Stout Bears Defense

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
bssrgrzblt098untimm3

Cook talked Thursday about being the more physical team, something he also mentioned a season ago. But in 2019, he tallied just 35 yards and a score on 14 carries. In 2018, he had 12 yards and lost a fumble on nine attempts.

But there is a sense within the Vikings that this time will be different, with a large part of that belief founded on how Minnesota's offense has operated in back-to-back wins over Green Bay and Detroit.

Cook was the NFC Offensive Player of the Week after each of those games, racking up 52 carries for 369 yards and five touchdowns.

The fourth-year running back leads the NFL with 858 rushing yards and 12 rushing scores despite playing in just six-and-a-half games in 2020.

"I think it's good for us up front," Cook said of his gaudy stats. "Getting that confidence going into the back end of the season, knowing what we're trying to get done, knowing the identity of who we are.

"I think that's key for us up front, for the guys up front. It's always good to be out front in statistics, it just shows the hard work you put in," Cook said. "I'm big on letting my guys know up front that this thing can be done … 'Y'all just get on guys, and I'm going to make a play.' …. I think being first in some of the statistics just shows that to the O-line, gives them that confidence."

Chicago will counter with a ferocious defense. And although the Bears rank 14th at 116.9 rushing yards allowed per game, the unit just proved what they are capable of when going against a top-tier running back.