Water Break with Jalyn Holmes

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
f1ol4me8jee7hlkpkvel

Q: Describe the impact and influence that Kobe had on you.

A:
"Man, [his death in January] was tough. He was an idol of mine, someone I grew up looking up to. The Lakers are my favorite basketball team. I didn't want to believe it for a long time. Just seeing how he carried himself on the court, as a father and as an entrepreneur … he's just somebody to look up to. He even motivated me with the trucking company, because Kobe was doing things on and off the court. I wanted to show people you could be more than an athlete."

Q: You were drafted as a defensive end in 2018 out of Ohio State. You spent time as a defensive tackle in 2019 but are now back to defensive end full-time. How has that transition gone?

A:
"It's going great. Defensive end is what I've always played … so it's natural. Like learning how to ride a bike again. The main thing is that I feel like I'm more focused than ever, more detailed than ever. I'm back having fun, and when I have fun, I play well."

Q: You've been around Vikings Co-Defensive Coordinator and defensive line coach Andre Patterson for three seasons now. What's the best piece of advice he's given you?

A:
"Man, there's so much. But really, just him always saying, 'Do what makes you unique.' Just stick to who you are. I feel like I've done that this season. Part of me being me was playing defensive end, playing my game and just having fun. He always talks about just being yourself and what makes you good. That advice has helped my game tremendously."