Weatherly’s Campers Reach End Zone, Break Out of Comfort Zone

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
yfdp0u7eq7rhgb8z0jeo

“I think our culture and our vision, who we are as organizations, just align so well together,” Smith said. “It’s one of those things where you say you’re better together, and I think we absolutely do that day-in and day-out as partners together.”

Vikings Vice President of Corporate Development and Guest Relationships JP Paul, also part of the InSports Board of Directors, volunteered as one of the camp’s coaches.

“Innovative [Office Solutions] is a great partner of ours, and to do something that really fits what we do as an organization and our focus on youth football … it just makes sense,” Paul said. “And the more our players get involved, it’s great for the kids, it’s great for the organization. It’s just fun. This is what it’s all about.”

Since being drafted by the Vikings in 2016, Weatherly has observed his teammates’ commitment to the community. And while the defensive end has consistently gotten involved with various community events himself over the past three years, he made it a goal last season to host his own camp during the 2019 offseason.

Weatherly opted to target Twin Cities youth rather than hosting the camp in his hometown near Atlanta, Georgia.

“Minnesota’s done so much for me, so the least I can do is do something for the kids here,” said Weatherly, who pointed out that close to half of the campers hadn’t touched a football before attending Monday’s event. “I think every kid here caught a ball at least once, or attempted to throw, and there were a lot of spirals from first-time ball-throwers out here.”

As Weatherly proudly watched the young people board their buses with pink cheeks, sweaty smiles and waves for their new “friend” on the Minnesota Vikings, his mother, Carla, and grandmother, Dianna, looked on with pride just a few feet away.

Weatherly called their lifelong support “unbelievable” and explained that they had flown from Atlanta to Minneapolis Sunday evening simply to be a part of the camp.