What an 'embarrassing' performance taught Teddy Bridgewater

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
vyjzucowpdb3jr9gk6lk

This isn't to say that these players aren't telling the truth. But Teddy Bridgewater was asked about what advice he'd have as a former backup to reserve Panthers quarterbacks Will Grier and P.J. Walker. Bridgewater's response showed refreshing candor.

"Just always stay ready," he began. "I shared a message with those guys a couple days ago about how when my opportunity came last year against the Rams, and I wasn't prepared. I had my mind made up that I was behind Drew Brees, the previous year he never missed a game. 'Man, I'm never going to play.' That was my mindset.

"You can always talk the talk, 'I'm going to be ready when my number's called.' But you never know until that opportunity presents itself."

Bridgewater, who had been Brees' backup since the start of the 2018 season, thought he'd done enough to prepare. But when Brees injured his thumb in the first quarter of Week 2 last year, Bridgewater had to play.

He finished that game 17-of-30 passing for 165 yards, taking two sacks and fumbling once, though the Saints recovered it. New Orleans lost, 27-9.

"I was embarrassed because I put out some awful football," Bridgewater admitted. "When I had my opportunity, I didn't deliver, and I was truly embarrassed.

After making it back from a career-threatening knee injury, Bridgewater felt like he had too much support from his inner-circle to throw away the opportunity.

"I told myself I never wanted to experience that again," he said.