What impressed Matt Rhule about Joe Brady's virtual offseason coaching

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
ef5l0dc7n1mfjyohx805

In a typical offseason program, topics in morning meetings are primarily determined by what the team would practice later on the field, like red-zone plays or third-down drills. This spring, Brady instead gave players a clear view of the entire offensive picture. That way, they would have a deeper understanding of the "why" for every play call.

Rhule liked the approach, praising Brady for his attention to detail.

"For being such a young guy, he is a football grinder," Rhule said. "A lot of guys, they have a system and they're so smart — Joe's a grinder. He's constantly working on football, and I think the players recognize that."

But when it comes to working together on Sundays, Rhule may not have to worry about Brady's demeanor.

"Coach uses the term "humble confidence," and I think that was critical for me. You're humble enough to prepare, but you're confident enough to perform," Brady said. "So I'm one of those guys that people might think I don't have any emotion. From that standpoint on game day, I'm very even-keel, and I think that's a huge advantage come game time.

"But I'm a competitor. I don't just coach just because I feel like this is what I have to do. I coach and I love the competitive juices of game day and those elements. You live for the red zones, the third downs, the two-minute situations. So from a pressure element and standpoint, that's something I never think about. I just know at the beginning of the week, it's going to take a lot of preparation that's going to come and take place, so when the game day comes, I feel confident in our team's ability to have success."