What They Said: 49ers, Seahawks Recap an Overtime Thriller

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
m1frdwzhjmz30mxurc1e

Niners Liners

Kyle Shanahan on his overall impressions of the game:

"You’re always disappointed when you don’t win. Especially when we felt we had a number of chances. I was very proud of our guys. I thought we competed very hard. Guys left it all out there. I know guys are hurting right now. I thought all three phases played hard. I thought our defense was unbelievable. I thought the offense played as hard as they could but made way too many mistakes to be able to pull out a win in that game.”

Shanahan on the demeanor of the locker room following the loss:

“I think they’re disappointed. I think guys are exhausted right now. Guys left a lot out there. We’ve got a lot of guys banged up who came out of the game and a lot of guys were, I think, hurting throughout that game. So, I think the guys left it all out there. I know they are exhausted. I know they are disappointed with the loss, but I think they are excited to rest tomorrow and get right back at it next week.”

Shanahan on how much of an impact the losses of George Kittle and Emmanuel Sanders had on the offense:

“They’re our two best playmakers, so it definitely takes a toll. We knew that coming in with George. We kind of realized that was going to happen today. Emmanuel was out there battling. Had that happen with his ribs. He tried to go a few more series longer, but he had to go out. Other guys came in, some guys stepped it up at times. We just didn’t have the consistency out there.”

QB Jimmy Garoppolo on the game being back and forth:

“Yeah, it was a crazy game, it was, even early on, throughout the entire game. We knew how the game was going to be with Seattle. These division games are never easy, but kind of exactly what we expected.”

Garoppolo on if he was disappointed to lose this one:

“Yeah, I mean, it was a tough fought game. It’s a good team, so we knew it was going to be a tough fight and everything. I thought our guys battled up until the end. It was a tough loss.”

DL DeForest Buckner on his his first-career touchdown:

“Yeah, let’s see. I mean, it was a critical situation. We needed to get a big stop or get the ball back for the offense and make a short field. I mean, we were all just rushing and (Seattle Seahawks QB) Russell (Wilson) was just wrapped up. Pretty sure the guys got to him and I saw one of the linemen take the ball from him and was just wondering ‘what the hell is this dude doing?’ you know what I mean? He tried to run with it, which was crazy, so I tried to wrap him up and get the ball out. Didn’t know that Fred Warner punched it out, I thought I ripped it out. That hurt. But then I saw the opportunity to scoop it up and make a big play in the game and get some energy back for the team. I saw it and it was, what, about a 20-yard return. Thank the lord, because I was tired. Yeah, it was a great play and tried to bring it back. Tried to help the team and we just came up short.”

Buckner on how he expects the team to bounce back:

“Yeah, I mean, the guys fought hard, man. It’s the little details that we’ve got to clean up as a unit. You know, offense, defense, special teams. We all made mistakes to come up short tonight and we all know that. I’m just proud of each and every one of the guys for fighting as much as we could, just trying to give us a chance to come out with the win. We came up short. All the guys know the work that we put in each and every single day. It was a little gut check taking this L tonight, but we’re going to bounce back.”

LB Dre Greenlaw on his first-career interception:

“At that time I had man coverage on the hot too, so basically I had anybody coming out to the flat. I looked back inside and saw the quarterback looking that way and instinctively, I opened my hips and tried to do what I can do to get as much yardage to put my team in a position to try to win the game.”

CB Richard Sherman on the locker room following the loss:

“It was fine. You treat both the same, success and failure, because neither one of them are fatal. It’s a learning experience, guys battled and we had a chance to win it. We’ve got to play better on both sides of the ball. All three phases we’ve got to play better football. On defense, we’ve got to give ourselves a chance. We’ve got to get those stops on those sudden changes. So, at the end of the day, it’s a good learning lesson for us. Guys battled, there were a ton of mistakes that guys made but then we made a ton of huge plays to give us a chance.”

Sherman on the defense's performance:

“We played hard, that’s for sure. We tried to give ourselves a chance. We didn’t play up to our standard, there were plays that were sudden changes. We were backed up but you’ve got to find a way to get those stops. I think everybody in that room would say ‘I’ve got to make a play.’ Somebody has to make a play in those situations. One of those situations Jaquiski Tartt made a heck of a play and got us off the field, but I or somebody else have got to find a way to make a play and get those guys stopped and hold them to a field goal. So, at the end of the day you can only point the finger at yourself and try to get better that way, work hard and get ready for the next opponent.”

S Jaquiski Tartt on his strip of DK Metcalf in the first half:

“I was just trying to make a play. Every play is the defense’s mindset to get the ball. For us, they are not in the end zone until they are in the end zone. For me, I was just trying to strip the ball, and I just happened to take it away from him.”

Tartt on how difficult it is to contain Russell Wilson:

“He is a special player. He is the guy that drives their offense. He did what he usually does, so give him credit.”

LB Fred Warner on his forced fumble that led to Buckner's touchdown:

“Yeah, that was a crazy play. They tried to run a tight end screen. Dre Greenlaw did a great job sniffing it out, grabbing him. I don’t know how the tackle, or whoever that was, ended up having the ball in his hands. I was confused at first, but then I saw DeForest Buckner grab him and I came up and, you know, took a shot at it. It popped out, DeFo made a hell of a play, ran it back and gave us some life. Huge play by DeFo.”

Warner on Greenlaw's performance:

“Dre did outstanding. I thought he had a great game. He was out there communicating, lining up with urgency, making plays. That play where he intercepted the ball was just insane. I’m thinking I was going to have a chance at it because Wilson lobbed it up. Just the execution of that play and what we were running, I honestly couldn’t believe it was so, you know, kind of surreal. He’s a great player, very instinctive and it showed tonight for sure.”