Why the 49ers Selected Each Day 3 Pick in 2019 NFL Draft

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
otp1w4dw26n6wzpyxwrn

Round 6: 183rd Overall (from Bengals) - Justin Skule, OT, Vanderbilt

San Francisco likes Skule's size (6-foot-7, 317 pounds) and SEC pedigree. Skule started 40 games for the Commodores and has experience at both tackle spots. The goal on Day 3 is to find players who have traits that might help them make the roster. Both Shanahan and Lynch seemed confident in Skule's potential of being San Francisco's swing tackle in 2019.

"He has the ability to make it, and to me he's got as good of a mindset on what's inside of him as anybody out there," Shanahan said.

Added Lynch: “I felt like he won at a high rate. It wasn't always beautiful, pretty, but just kind of a scrapper who at the end of the play was on his guy and won his leverage at a very high rate. And, so when you find those guys, you look at the level of competition. Well, his level of competition was as good as it gets in college football. Sometimes it's not always how pretty it looks, it's are you getting the job done?”

Round 6: 198th Overall (from Bengals) - Tim Harris, CB, Virginia

Many fans were hoping that the 49ers would spend hefty draft capital in the secondary. But San Francisco continued to show extreme confidence in who's already on the roster. Harris was the lone addition. The Virginia cornerback has ideal size and athleticism. Harris' ability on special teams will likely determine if he makes the 53-man roster out of camp.

"Very talented football player, and we felt very good about him." Lynch said. "You just can't have enough good corners. So, providing competition, athleticism, and he is a profile fit. We aren't married to that profile, but he certainly has that profile at 6-2, 200, and a kid who can run at 4.43, I believe.”