Why the Panthers drafted Derrick Brown

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
k80f2dqnwuzek4dhmto3

"I think what Derrick does is, Derrick not only helps guys like KK (Short) and the rest of the line, he helps Shaq (Thompson) — he helps the linebackers," Hurney said. "He's a big, powerful player who's got a real good first step. We think he's a three-down player."

Rhule said while the Panthers are more likely to play a 4-3 base defensive front, Brown's versatility gives the team options. And Rhule praised Brown's ability to play all along the line, which can make him effective not just against the run but also the pass.

"I think what we need to do, especially now that we're getting KK healthy, is have some interior guys that can really get in the face of the quarterbacks in this league. You have three established quarterbacks in the NFC South, so I think just having a guy with his arm length — I think it's like 34, 35-inch arms — that's an ability to keep offensive lineman off him, an ability to affect the quarterback area. And I think he's only just beginning in his ability as a pass rusher.

"He's a guy to us that allows us to go to three-down, four-down (linemen) — he can be a nose, he can be a three-technique. He's even gone out and been a five-technique," Rhule added. "Big men that can move like him are versatile, so we can use him all around the front."

Generally, Rhule and Hurney were so effusive in their praise of Brown that this was clearly a player they'd targeted for a long time. And now, they'll have Brown to help construct a successful scheme.

"He is a really good piece to add to our defense and start building our defense," Hurney said.