WON Monthly Magazine June 2020

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
y7f5nxd8cmqffhtvbekk

Was there one inspirational moment in team history that confirmed your 49ers fandom?

There isn't one moment that confirmed my fandom since I've been a fan since birth, but the most special moment that I can think of was The Catch III featuring my daughter's favorite player, Alex Smith, and my favorite player, Vernon Davis. As season ticket holders and fans through some tough times, that return to the playoffs was already special, but to win that game with a last-minute touchdown featuring our favorite players was just perfect. The 2011 team had so many great people on it that our family was lucky enough to meet so seeing them have success was that much sweeter.

What 49ers tradition or superstition do you/your family have?

For a long time, we have been known as The Tailgate Family. With that reputation, we have a certain set of traditions that must be executed in a certain order and way to give the team the best chance at success each week. It's mostly a series of little things, but we have to pack each item in a certain order, depart the house at the right time, park in the same stall and make our friends keep the same stalls as well. While we have rotating meals throughout the year, one consistent snack at every tailgate is French Onion Dip and Ruffles original potato chips. Of course, we also have certain attire that must be worn every week, home, or away.

What impact has the 49ers had on your life?

The team and the organization have had a tremendous impact on our lives. It started as something that everyone in our family enjoyed but we've developed bonds with so many great people beyond our immediate family. We are now a 49ers family that stretches to friends, tailgate partners, and season ticket seat neighbors. While we all love the Red and Gold, we build bonds beyond the game and hang out at non-football events, take care of each other through the tragedies and milestones of life. Every year, we discuss our seat renewal but there is never any hesitation. The 49ers are a part of who we are.