You've Got Mail: 49ers Week, Part II

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
cmrvliir4rhaxayui3ld

"Hey Darren, I understand nobody like a Debbie Downer. I called into the postgame show trying to discuss Kyler, and got shamed for not just 'enjoying the win.' Not unlike fan forums, who shout you down for the smallest of criticisms. But I can only be honest. Kyler doesn't look like a long-term franchise QB. He has amazing flashes of talent. I know the stats are big and impressive. But on a snap-by-snap basis, he just isn't consistent. And never has been. We are close to the conclusion of year 2, and he's not taken 'the big step.' He's much better about not taking bad sacks, I absolutely praise him for that. But otherwise, I don't see growth. Despite his quiet, cool demeanor off the field, I see a kid who panics a lot on the field. His reads aren't great. Its weird how he seems to forget about his running ability, or is afraid to (who knows). All I know is we live in a world of comparisons. And 'career start No. 1' Jalen Hurts looked like the calm, poised, accurate veteran QB, compared to Year 2 Kyler. What do you see?"

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I gotta pause if you are suggesting Jalen Hurts -- who actually has started twice -- is better than Kyler right now. I've got to wonder what exactly is the big step it is that you seek, and exactly who are you comparing him to. Mahomes? Probably not fair, since it looks like Mahomes is on a level by himself. There are no other quarterbacks out there that are what you are talking about. Lamar Jackson has clunkers sometimes. Watson. Big Ben. Even Rodgers, especially in the recent past, before this year.

I 100 percent agree Kyler still makes mistakes. Most QBs do, and he still hasn't finished his second season. I'm not saying he'll be Peyton or Brady. But I look at the guy who played in 2019 and absolutely see a better QB. I'm not sure how you do not. If he wasn't getting better they wouldn't be 8-6 with a chance to make the playoffs.

From Alvin Vasicek via azcardinals.com:

Continue reading...