You've Got Mail: An Offseason In Limbo

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
diaacb9cyurzcc0yaduj

"Hey Darren, I heard interesting conversation on the radio the other day talking about what the Cardinals are missing, and the answer was essentially a veteran backup QB. The type you bring on specifically to guide the young QB. The reason Josh McCown had a 20-year career was because he thrived in that roll. So they started talking hypotheticals, and one name that came up was Cam Newton. Hypothetical, I said, stop shaking your head. Assuming Cam was OK being a backup, he seems a great fit. His style was similar to Kyler's, and he became an MVP doing it. I thought it was great, albeit unlikely. What do you think about the Cam topic, as well as the question in general, regarding the vet QB who could be that non-threat guide to our young franchise QB?"

One, I don't really understand the "need of a veteran backup QB" thing. What exactly is Brett Hundley? He's a veteran, he's played games in this league and he's been around the block. Isn't that exactly what you're talking about? As for Cam, it doesn't make sense for this team IMO because, barring injury, there is zero chance he sees the field. There are teams out there who have starters where I'd think he'd have more of a chance to supplant them at some point. Unless Newton could see upside of working with Kliff Kingsbury (like Jameis Winston decided by going to work with Sean Payton), I don't see why he'd want to be in Arizona. Granted, he doesn't have an offer now, so maybe he would. But then, what are you paying? Where Newton ends up is a fascinating topic to me. The "non-threat" part sticks out -- not sure how a former MVP who should be a starter somewhere could ever not be a threat to play.

From John Dunne via azcardinals.com:

Continue reading...