You've Got Mail: As The NFL Reaches Its Championship Games

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
diaacb9cyurzcc0yaduj

Two come to mind. On a personal level, the joint training camp practices in St. Joseph, Missouri in 2012 was a brutal trip for me. I got food poisoning, and for basically three days I was stuck with attacks of brutal pain in my stomach. Made it impossible to sleep through the night, and we were staying in bare-bones dorm rooms with spotty internet and no TV. Wasn't my favorite trip (although I did somehow write a story about the unlikely friendship between RB Ryan Williams and then-Chiefs GM Scott Pioli, of which I was pretty proud.)

But as for the team, nothing will beat the trip to New England for Week 16 in 2008. The basics everyone knows: The Cardinals were drilled in the snow, 47-7, by the Matt Cassel Patriots, and Cris Collinsworth called them the worst team in playoff history, and soon after the Cards were in the Super Bowl. But the post-game deal made it worse. The Cards were flying in and out of Providence. Because of the weather, we sat on the plane for a few hours before takeoff so it could be loaded, de-iced and prepped, and I believe we were the only flight leaving -- everything else had been canceled because of the snow. We finally get in the air, and we had to make a pit stop in Minnesota -- because of the weight of the plane and the limited runways in Providence, we didn't have enough fuel to get all the way back to Arizona. So we refuel in Minny, and because of the weather have to get de-iced again and that takes a while. I think I figured out later, from the time the game ended to the time we actually landed in Phoenix it was double-digit hours. Does that qualify as a hell trip?

Continue reading...