You've Got Mail: Eagles Week

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
d0gvul52rnehqceaxilw

"Why is Kliff still sticking with Zane Gonzalez despite his kicking woes these last several games? He has a good leg but his struggles seem to be with 40-49 yard kicks. He was good in 2019 but three of his four missed kicks were from that range. Since the start of 2019 he has missed 10 field goals, 8 of them have been from 40-49 yards. Why did the team sign Mike Nugent to the practice squad and if they don't feel he can be an upgrade why not at least audition other kickers?"

First of all, you know we are in a pandemic, right? Clearing a guy just for an audition is, frankly, difficult and a long-drawn out process. The Cardinals signed Nugent because, and I have written this a few times, they wanted to have a kicker around because if Gonzalez got nailed with COVID, they would have a kicker for just that very reason that it takes a week to clear a guy to join a roster. I understand the frustration with Gonzalez, but at this point, they still believe in him. I know Nugent made all four of his kicks but all were within 40 yards and Gonzalez makes all of those too. What happens the rest of this season, and next, we will have to see. Gonzalez is a free agent-to-be.

From Owen Nash via azcardinals.com:

Continue reading...