You've Got Mail: May The Throwing Commence

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
diaacb9cyurzcc0yaduj

"Darren, I've been a Cardinal fan since 1959, lots of heartache. My concern is along with lots of fans and players seems to be our endless problem with the tight end position. Our inability to develop a quality player for that position for many years has hurt. One player can catch, not block, next one block, can't catch, then seems like two or three others are always in and out of the lineup with variety of endless injuries. In the meantime, whatever team we play, their tight end becomes a Hall of Fame player for one game, with our defense unable to cover him. Your thoughts. Thanks."

Gary, you certainly are not the first over my 20 years covering this team to bring up the tight end position. I've heard about Jay Novacek since I walked into the facility for the first time. I don't know why it hasn't been a bigger topic -- at least on the offensive side -- over the years, but when it stretches over coaches and GMs, it's not just one regime (and I don't see that as an organizational problem because ownership isn't making those draft picks.) You have to be able to cover a tight end and a good one helps, but I'll be honest, I've never sat back and thought that was the thing holding this team back. (Although they do need to defend opposing tight ends better.)

From Ruben Greth via azcardinals.com:

Continue reading...