Zimmer Ready to Get Back to Work: ‘This is What We Do’

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
rgpa8zbusftww2vypxy3

Also working with Kubiak will be Vikings Offensive Coordinator Kevin Stefanski, who is new to the role but not to the organization.

Stefanski is entering his 14th season with the Vikings and took over the coordinator position late last season when John DeFilippo was relieved of his duties. Zimmer remembers what it was like to be a young coach in the league and has plenty of confidence in Stefanski, whom he’s worked with since taking the helm in 2014.

“I think the big thing with Kevin is to be precise in what we’re trying to do, be specific in what we’re trying to accomplish [with] the offense that particular week, that particular play,” Zimmer said. “I’ve always said that as long as you go through and you’re specific with the players in exactly what you want them to do, then they can go out and perform and do it.

“Once you do that and you put them in position, then it’s the players’ job to go in and make plays,” Zimmer added. “I always tell the players, ‘Look, I’m going to get you in position to win, but you have to win. I’m going to do my very best to get you in the best position possible, and then when you get to the moment of truth, that’s your job.’ ”

Just like the Vikings have developed young coaches like Stefanski, they have prided themselves on developing young players.

Zimmer was asked about the core of young guys on the team, and he said he “feels good” about the group.

“We’ve been very fortunate that our scouting staff, [General Manager Rick Spielman], they all do a great job in identifying players and working well with the coaches and trying to figure out exactly what we’re looking for in those particular positions,” Zimmer said.

He pointed to a player like defensive end Ade Aruna, who impressed Zimmer early on but spent his entire rookie campaign on Injured Reserve. If the coaching staff can help Aruna maximize his athletic skill set, Zimmer said, he has a chance to be a talented football player.

He also highlighted the importance of having high-character veteran players in the locker room who come alongside the younger players and act as sort of second coaches.

“When Anthony Harris came in here, a guy like him being around Harrison Smith – I think all those things help develop players, as well,” Zimmer said. “We have a lot of really good people on our football team that help these young guys. When Brian Robison helped Everson Griffen, and then on top of it, you bring a guy like [defensive line coach] Andre Patterson in who helps coach Brian Robison to being a better player … [and then Robison could] help Everson, he can help Danielle Hunter and those guys.”

While Zimmer has enjoyed the peacefulness of time away at the ranch, he’s ready to exchange the carefree days and quiet evenings for focused practices and extra film study.

Has he thought much about what his first message to the team will be?

“Yeah, I’ve thought about it a little bit. I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to say, but I think there’s some things – I kind of gave them an outline when they left of what we’re trying to accomplish,” Zimmer said. “What I did at the beginning [of spring programming], ‘Phase 1, here’s what we want to accomplish. Phase 2, this is what we’re trying to do. Phase 3, this is what we’re trying to do.’

“And then the last day, after that, then I talked to them about, ‘OK, here’s what we have to do when we come back to training camp,’ ” he added. “So I’ll probably hit that again with them with a few other things that I’ve thought about over the summer.”