'He's hit his stride': Jerry Jeudy's first 100-yard game could foreshadow things to come

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
fpharpnonbo7afvef9m6

In the second half, Jeudy represented a mismatch on most plays as the Broncos looked to the air to power a comeback attempt. On 12 second-half targets, Jeudy caught six passes for 107 yards. He also accounted for four of the Broncos' seven longest plays on the day, including a 41-yarder. Jeudy also drew a pair of pass interference calls for 36 total yards.

Beyond his route-running, he also showcased some ingenious thinking to help create separation. On third down at the Falcons' 20-yard line, Jeudy began a route by sprinting down the right sideline. He brought up his right hand and waved it, a typical signal by a receiver who feels like he's open on a go route.

But instead, Jeudy stopped short at the 5-yard line as his defender's momentum carried him to the goal line. After securing the catch, Jeudy cut inside and split two defenders for the touchdown.

"I just threw my hand up to make the DB feel like I was running the go route," Jeudy said. "That's something creative I've been thinking about with my route-running."

So far in his first season, Jeudy may still be looking for more team success, but by driving himself to be better, he's become a more reliable player. His connection with quarterback Drew Lock is growing with each game, which can be seen in his production over the last two games — 11 receptions for 198 yards.

"I mean, he's hit his stride," Lock said. "He's asserting himself in that wide-receiver room and in the NFL. Guys are going to take a second look at him. Maybe earlier in the year, they're like, 'Yeah, he runs some pretty crisp and clean routes,' but Jerry's getting physical. He does his job extremely well right now, and he's playing really, really hard. … One thing you're going to see when you watch the film is Jerry plays extremely hard. It's one of those things where you know if he does make a mistake, it's never not at 100 miles per hour, 100 percent. I'm proud of him."

As Jeudy and the Broncos move forward, more even and bigger games may await them.

"I feel like I'm getting better each week," Jeudy said. "Playing together, I feel like just as a unit we have to start off faster."

If they can accomplish that, happier days will come soon.