'If you're part of Broncos Country, you have to be excited': S Justin Simmons weighs in on new-look secondary, upcoming season

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
tiuxxdetvolpudllutt1

AD: In a tough AFC West, do you think this new-look defense can slow down teams like the Chargers and Chiefs?

JS:
"For sure. Just looking at last year, there were obviously some games where defensively we had our share of breakdowns, but I think about the Monday night game against the Chiefs at home. I thought defensively we played great outside of the last couple minutes, which was kind of like the story of our season: not being able to finish close games. But I thought for the first three quarters, you’re talking about a high-powered offense that we completely took away — with obviously [Chiefs QB Patrick] Mahomes making some plays here and there. I think that’s encouraging. And then you bring in Fangio and his staff. Seeing what he did, it’s just exciting. They played some high-powered offenses last year in Chicago and completely took away turnovers. You could just see on tape if you watch film that presence about their defense. Obviously as a defensive guy, I’m always high on building up the defense. Obviously offense puts points on the board, but defense wins championships. That’s evident [looking] at the last Super Bowl that was won here.”

AD: What have been your early impressions of Vic Fangio?

JS:
“I talked to a couple guys that I know from Chicago, and they call him ‘the Godfather.’ You talk about a defensive guru, and that’s what they bring up. … We unfortunately haven’t been able to talk X’s and O’s and all that good stuff, but I’m just excited. Like I said, I’m a guy that watches other players and other teams from around the league — especially ones that are doing really well — to see what I can learn, what I can take away. I found myself consistently watching some of the Bears guys. … So to know that I have that now here is amazing. There’s no excuse to not go out there and execute at the same level that Fangio’s previous teams have done. Each place that he’s come from has elevated their game, so now with Denver, even though we’ve always been good defensively, we need to elevate it to be great again.”

AD: With all the versatile players the Broncos have added, what would it mean for you if you’re able to stay at the safety position instead of moving around to nickel and cornerback like you did last season?

JS:
“When I was coming out of the draft, one of my upsides was versatility, and I pride myself on that. Not only physically, but the mental aspect of being able to go from safety to nickel to corner. It’s hard, especially when you’re not prepping all week to play corner and then you just get thrown into the fire to do it. It’s tough — in the NFL especially — but you’ve got to be able to make those adjustments. I think having those guys like Kareem, who plays both [positions] consistently, a guy like Bryce, who knows this system [and] can easily adjust to things, and then you’ve got a guy like Chris, too, who’s been in multiple defenses and has seen every look you’re going to get, all that stuff helps. If it’s needed, great. But am I excited to just stick at one spot and to know going into it that we’ve got other guys that are versatile too and can plug in here and there? Oh, yeah — of course. [It will] help me play faster, smarter and better.”