'It's just a battle': TE Nick Vannett headed to Denver to help Broncos' run game

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
spphv04ecc04ggzn6jiq

Other highlights from Vannett's conversation with Denver media:

He didn't expect to end up in Denver.

As Vannett began his free-agent process, the Broncos weren't high on his radar of teams that he expected to pursue his services. That changed, as Denver saw Vannett as a player that could serve as a veteran presence and help in the run game.

"It was definitely not what I expected it to be," Vannett said of his free-agent experience. "… For me, teams had higher needs and they had to address other needs. That's when you kind of figure out that this is a business at the end of the day. Teams have a certain amount of money for other players. Some teams don't have the money. It kind of leaves you with other options. Denver was in it. I didn't really know that they needed a tight end. It wasn't one of my teams that I was projecting to be with coming out of the Combine when you first get all of that information from your agent. They made offers. They showed that they were really interested in me. For me, I kind of saw it as an opportunity because there are a lot of young tight ends in that room. It's a younger team right now. They're in the reloading process. It's an opportunity for me to come in and to kind of be a mentor for the group, to be a voice and a leader and lead by example. It was just an attractive situation for me. Then with ... [Offensive Coordinator Pat] Shurmur coming in this year, he's obviously had some great success everywhere he's been running two tight end sets. I think it was all around a great situation. That's ultimately what I saw in the Broncos."

He's on the same page with former college teammate Jeff Heuerman.

Vannett stepped in for Heuerman at Ohio State after Heuerman left for the NFL, but he isn't focused on taking reps his former and now current teammate in Denver.

"I thought about that, but I have no idea what the plan is," said Vannett when asked if he thought the Broncos signed him to replace Heuerman. "I just know that they're looking for me to come in and create some competition and just to help out in the run game. I think in the past, that room has struggled with some injuries and that stuff. I think they're just looking to come in and add more depth to the room and create some more competition in the run game and just as a whole. I've talked to Jeff. He reached out to me, congratulated me on signing with the Broncos. He's excited that we're going to be in the same room together. I think he's more excited that we're reuniting more than anything. We haven't really talked about what could happen down the road or what they plan to do. I have no idea."

He's heard promising reviews about Drew Lock.

Vannett admits he doesn't know much about his new quarterback, but he said he's excited to work with the second-year player. Vannett began his career in Seattle with Russell Wilson and then spent the latter part of 2019 in Pittsburgh with a revolving door of quarterbacks.

"I think first and foremost, I'm just excited to — whenever this whole [coronavirus] situation blows over, whenever we can report in — I'm just excited to get in, get going and push forward," Vannett said. "Obviously, I've heard some great things about Drew Lock. His stats show it from when he was a starter. He was 4-1. He finished out and had a great season last year. Honestly, I wasn't paying too close attention to what he was doing. I was more focused on trying to win some games for the Steelers. Obviously, I think he's got some great traits. I've heard a lot of great things about him. I'm excited to build that relationship with him and get ready to start working with him."