'Physical freak' A.J. Dillon not a typical running back

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
d9mfgttc6lxbgzfo9qbp

Big-stage intro

It took less than two months for Dillon to put it all together. In just his seventh collegiate game, Boston College traveled to Louisville to take on eventual Heisman-winning QB, and now reigning NFL MVP, Lamar Jackson.

Dillon had just a single 100-yard game and two touchdowns to his name before that day, but he matched if not outshined the soon-to-be megastar in what White termed his "formal introduction" to the country.

While Jackson threw for 332 yards and two TDs, and added 180 rushing yards and three more scores, Dillon racked up 39 carries for 272 yards and four TDs. He capped the 45-42 shootout upset with a signature 75-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter that showed off all his tools.

"There's an unblocked corner blitz, comes at his knees, and he shakes that off," White said, relishing in the detailed play-by-play. "Then all of a sudden the safety comes inside-out, and he takes him with his right hand, literally throws him, and then runs 70-plus yards for a touchdown.

"He showed incredible power and balance, and ridiculous speed. He just dominated that game and never looked back. For me to tell you I knew that was going to be A.J.'s breakout game, I'd be absolutely lying to you. He had been playing well and been improving, but then all of a sudden he became superhuman in that game."