'We weren't up to the challenge today': Broncos commit series of costly errors in 43-16 loss to Chiefs

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
kzsncbe6uktdpkuv60on

The game truly appeared to get out of hand in the third quarter, when Denver forced an opening three-and-out and took over with a chance to cut the lead to one possession. After picking up two quick first downs, the Broncos ran a flea-flicker play — and it ended in disaster. Gordon's pitch back to Lock went over his head, and Frank Clark returned the mishap to Denver's 14-yard line.

"Obviously, turning the ball over is never good," Fangio said. "I'm not sure exactly what happened on the flea-flicker as far as where the breakdown was there, whether it was a bad pitch back or not. We can't turn the ball over obviously."

Denver's next two drives ended in a turnover on downs and an interception. Lock has now thrown two interceptions in each of the last two games.

He admitted after the game that he may be pressing out of a desire to win.

"Yeah, that could be a little bit," Lock said. "Since I've been here, when I was on the sideline you saw a lot of people angry and mad — unhappy with the way we started the beginning of that season. And then you see how happy and excited and looking forward to it everyone was at the end of last season when we started winning. Coming into this year, you just want it so bad for the guys around you. Obviously, I want it for myself, but it ends up being more for the guys around you than it is for yourself. That's probably the worst part."

Lock vowed after the loss that he would "play a whole lot better" and said the conversations about his decision-making would soon be in the past.

"There's a fine line between taking what the defense gives you and then when they don't give you what you want, trying to make a play," Lock said. "I can make the plays when they're there, but I've just got to get a little better judgment on when it's time to make that play or say, 'You know what, they got us.' Eventually we'll stop having this conversation, but it needs to happen faster than later, and it will."

The Broncos hope to put this game in the rearview, as well. Denver's next two opponents are a combined 3-10, as the Chargers visit Empower Field at Mile High on Sunday before the Broncos head to Atlanta.

"We've got to absorb the hurt and the disappointment," Fangio said. "By Wednesday when we come back in and start our preparation for the next game, it's got to be flushed out and we've got to get rolling."

Safety Justin Simmons — who pointed to several ways in which the defense could've been better on Sunday — knows that's the only way to help the Broncos push from 2-4 back toward .500.

"One loss doesn't define you as much as one win doesn't define you," Simmons said. "We've got to fix the mistakes and move on to next week."