10 Takeaways as 49ers Shred Packers on 'Sunday Night Football'

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
vy6krak6am2jy73ffbin

6. Mostert notched San Francisco's third touchdown of the game. Garoppolo orchestrated a 10-play, 69-yard drive in the fourth quarter highlighted by Coleman, Mostert and Bourne. On 1st-and-10 on Green Bay's 15, Mostert took the handoff for his third touchdown of the season.

7. San Francisco's defense held Rodgers to 20-of-33 for 104 yards and one touchdown for a passer rating of 75.8. Green Bay's quarterback averaged just 3.4 yards per attempt, the worst in his 15-year NFL career. The Packers went 0-10 on third and fourth down in the first half on Sunday - the most attempts without a conversion by any team in an opening half in the last 20 seasons, according to NFL Research. Green Bay converted on just 1-of-15 third down conversions on the night.

Rodgers did not complete a pass over 10-plus air yards (0-for-8) for the first time in a game he finished in the Next Gen Stats era (since 2016). San Francisco has allowed only four deep completions (20-plus air yards) all season, fewest in the NFL.

Rodgers was replaced by rookie quarterback Tim Boyle as the game continued to slip away from the Packers.

8. The 49ers managed to sack Rodgers five times on the night. Buckner and Jaquiski Tartt split a sack. Warner and Nick Bosa also brought down Rodgers. Arik Armstead led the team with two sacks on night, and became the first 49ers defender to record double-digit sacks this season with 10. Armstead also added five tackles on the day.

“Arik has been great since we got here," Shanahan said. "Going against Arik in training camp and OTAs, even from our first year, he’s a guy who I hated going against him as an offensive coach. He’s very hard to block in the run and pass game. I thought he did some real good things for us the first two years. I think he’s had some unfortunate injuries. I think this year he’s been able to stay healthy, play in every game and I think just the way we’ve changed up our D-Line. Our style of play, it’s benefitted all of them, but probably him the most, just in terms of never having to kind of read and react. Just being aggressive every play, going right at the quarterback, reacting to run. With his length and size, just allowing him to be a little bit more decisive and the rest has been him. He’s had no hesitation and he’s stayed healthy.”