2019 Colts Burning Questions: Wide Receiver

Blue

Mar 19, 2019
cbyr3a1x9peybxxxsvr9

» What kind of immediate impact can Devin Funchess make?

For years the Colts have been searching long and hard for that No. 2 wide receiver that can come in and take some of the heat off T.Y. Hilton, and they think they’ve found just that in Devin Funchess. Signed early in free agency to a reported one-year deal, Funchess, at 6 foot 4 and 225 pounds, provides a huge target for Andrew Luck to throw to, and he brings with him some big-play potential that he flashed in his first four seasons with the Carolina Panthers, where he caught 161 passes for 2,233 yards and 21 touchdowns. And much like the Colts did with tight end Eric Ebron in his first season in Indy in 2018, the thought is that Frank Reich and Nick Sirianni’s offense can help Funchess reach even newer heights in 2019. “When I watch his tape, what I see is a big man who is really athletic. I like to talk about having route-running skill; this combination of having good feet, good instincts and good body control, and then what sometimes we refer to as body quickness,” Reich said in March. “And Devin has all of that.”