2019 Vikings Position Recap: Receivers

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
vawmksj4inrb2p9bgai4

Laquon Treadwell

Regular season: 13 games (1 start); nine receptions for 184 yards (20.4 yards per catch) and 1 touchdown

Catch rate: 56.3 percent (16 targets) | Receptions of 20-plus yards: 3

Playoffs: 1 game, 0 targets

Chad Beebe

Regular season: 3 games; 2 receptions for 70 yards (35.0 yards per catch)

Catch rate: 100 percent (2 targets) | Receptions of 20-plus yards: 1

Placed on injured reserve after Week 3

Alexander Hollins

Regular season: 5 games (1 start); 2 receptions for 46 yards (23.0 yards per catch)

Catch rate: 50 percent (4 targets) | Receptions of 20-plus yards: 1

Playoffs: 1 game; 1 target

2 Highest highs

1. Diggs recorded three impressive touchdowns, including a pair of more than 50 yards, to torch the Eagles secondary. The fifth-year pro became the first Vikings receiver to post three touchdown catches in a game since 2005 and finished with a season-high 167 yards on seven receptions in helping Minnesota defeat Philadelphia 38-20.

2. Thielen caught seven passes on eight targets for a season-best 130 yards and two scores (15 and 9 yards) in a 28-10 win at New York. The Vikings and Giants entered the game with 2-2 records after the first quarter of the season, but Minnesota was able to build momentum for four consecutive victories.

2 Lowest lows

1. The Vikings opted to keep four receivers during final roster reductions (Diggs, Thielen, Johnson and Beebe) before adding Doctson on Sept. 3 after his release from Washington. Doctson suffered an injury in practice on Sept. 12 and was placed on Injured Reserve. Beebe then landed on Injured Reserve on Sept. 24. Doctson returned but played just seven snaps against Denver in Week 11. Beebe's season was limited to 43 snaps.

2. Good news: Thielen made an incredible catch on a 25-yard touchdown at Detroit for an early lead. Bad news: He hit the wall of a seating area that was near the back of the end zone at Ford Field, and the all-out effort resulted in a hamstring injury that kept Thielen sidelined for most of the second half of 2019.

"I think we're right there. I think it just comes down to executing. It's great to talk about it, and it's great to say, 'We've just gotta do this better or do that better,' but now we've gotta go do it. We're to the point now where we know we can be contenders, but we've gotta go prove it. We have to go prove it every single week, and we have to go back to the drawing board. The first thing, like I say every week, the first thing I'm going to do is go look myself in the mirror and draw something up to make sure that I'm getting better individually. If everybody can do that, I think the sky's the limit. But again, you've got to go do it. You've got to go execute week-in and week-out, and play-in and play-out."

— Thielen on the Vikings improving on 2018 but not reaching the big goal

"You can take away that we lost and have a lot to learn from. It was a long year, hard-fought battles all year. … I'm very proud of the guys."

— Diggs after the Vikings season ended at San Francisco