2020 Draft Profile: Could An Elite Group Of Tackles Land Tristan Wirfs In The Colts' Lap?

Blue

Mar 19, 2019
iygefbarrjlqmt4r0ved

INDIANAPOLIS — This offseason has shed light on something that the Indianapolis Colts will need to keep in their minds moving forward.

At the conclusion of the 2019 season, Anthony Castonzo, the team's starting left tackle for the last nine years, said that he needed to take time to ponder his football future. At 31 years years old (32 in August), it's about that time for Castonzo to think about life after football.

On Tuesday at the NFL Scouting Combine, Colts general manager Chris Ballard announced that Castonzo intends to return to the field this year, but also said they will take a year-to-year approach with him moving forward as they work something out with the impending unrestricted free agent.

With the long-term future of your blindside protector being up in the air, it's time for a plan. Luckily, this year's crop of offensive tackles in the NFL Draft is really, really good.

One of the top tackles in the 2020 group is Iowa's Tristan Wirfs.

The reigning Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year in the Big Ten Conference, Wirfs had a decorated career in just three years in Iowa City.

At a program heralded for its offensive line play through the years, Wirfs was the first ever true freshman to start at tackle for head coach Kirk Ferentz, and was one of only two true freshmen appointed to Iowa's Leadership Group in 2017.

"I think it's pretty important," Wirfs told Colts.com Wednesday at the Combine about the importance of leadership. "Growing up in a small town — I don't want to say I was a designated leader — but just being a bigger kid, guys look up to you. Coming to Iowa and being able to do that was pretty special to me. I've never been a 'rah-rah' kind of guy, like yellin' and trying to lead people that way. It's always been leading by example, so I try my best."

In his final season, he was named a Second-Team All-American, First-Team All-Big Ten and was one of six semifinalists for the Outland Trophy, which honors the top interior offensive or defensive lineman in the country.

Wirfs enters the NFL with plenty of experience for a non-senior as a three-year starter, accruing 33 starts (29 at right tackle, four at left tackle), including three bowl games.

With his versatility and ability to play either tackle spot, which spot he plays in the NFL isn't of particular importance to him.

"It really doesn't matter to me. Coach Ferentz doesn't think there's much of a difference," Wirfs said. "I played right (tackle) most of the time, (but) if I need to flip over to left I can do it in the middle of a series, in the middle of drive, so it doesn't really matter to me."

He has an ideal frame at 6-5, 320 with a wingspan of over 7-8 and over 10-inch hands. He's got ample height, and is heavy enough to anchor in but not too heavy to be immobile. In fact, he's expected to test very well athletically when he hits the Lucas Oil Stadium turf for testing this week.

Wirfs has a wide upper body and can envelop defenders. He plants his legs in on pass protection and is rarely pushed back. When he is, he has the balance to recover and regain his ground.